BLOOD PRESSURE (BP)
Blood pressure is the pressure of blood inside our body , pressure throughout our arteries,veins,capillaries and through our blood vessels. Maintaining Normal blood pressure is important to our life because the pressure that forces our blood to flow around the Circulatory system the oxygen and nutrients would be delivered through our arteries to the tissues and organs . The blood pressure become dangerous when it go so high and get too low. Blood pressure delivers WBC and antibodies for our immunity .
The BP range can be said to be as Systolic blood pressure and Diastolic blood pressure. The Systolic blood pressure means maximum , high pressure when the heart contracts. The Diastolic blood pressure means minimum , low pressure when the heart relax.When a patient is admitted in a hospital the main vitals the doctors and nurses notes is BP.
The unit of Blood pressure can be measured in mmHg.
The normal value or Range of Blood pressure (BP) is diastolic -systolic 80 mmHg – 120 mmHg in normal adults. Ie ; (16 kpa – 11 kpa).
Blood pressure above the normal range indicates a serious health problem. according to American heart Association high blood pressure is also known as “hypertensive crisis”.
Hypertension – High blood pressure
Hypotension – Low blood pressure
How Blood Pressure ( BP ) measures from our body. ???
Blood pressure can be measured by using a device called as bp apparatus, its clinically called as sphygmomanometer, Unit as mmHg,initially systolic pressure followed by diastolic.
Its a non invasive method in which a mercury filled glass tube having a cuff,cloth and a bulb which can be inflated and find out the korotkoff sound followed by the normal sound.Hence diastolic and systolic values can be found out by the technically qualified healthcare specialist .its considered as the GOLD STANDARD.
- Patient observation chart
- Ask the patient to sit down and to loosen the tightening cloth .
- Place the cuff around the upper arm.
- Place the stethescope over the brachial artery and listen the pulsation.
- Pump up the cuff slowly using the bulb and listen for when the pulse disappears.It indicates to stop inflating the cuff.
- Deflate the cuff by watching the mercury level till the pulse reappears.
- Note this reading as systolic pressure.
- Again deflate the cuff till the pulse disappears and record it as diastolic pressure.
- Record these two measurement ,first systolic and then diastolic (e.g.120/80).
- Note this value in patient chart.
Now a days many other devices are there to find the BP,
- Aneroid bp apparatus.
- Digital bp apparatus.(frequently using )
Sphygmomanometer and accessories
In India around 17.6 % died and 9.7% disability due to Blood pressure variations .since its a serious issue and govt has conducted somany awareness camps,special health checkups where conducted by private hospital managements.
Blood pressure may vary if the patient is lying down,sitting or standing.Normal pressure can be recorded by patient sitting.
Placement of BP measurement cuff
What are the Causes of BP variation ???
Our physical and emotional feelings plays an important role .If some person emotionally week then there is a chance of BP variations .
- Increase of salty food contents
- Mental stress
- Blood loss
- Physically unfit
- Heart failure
- Packed food
Basic symptoms of Blood Pressure ,It should be seriously monitor
- Blurred vision
- Speech less
- One side of body stucks
- Legs are immovable
Basic treatment can be done by yourself like
- regular exercise
- maintain an healthy diet
- mind relaxing yogas
- Avoid pickles and highly salty food
- Aerobic exercise
But if you or your family members shows sudden changes in there speech they should be hospitalized immediately.
Hydralazine injection can reduce BP.
Drugs for high BP
- Calcium channel blockers
- Beta Blockers
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors
- Renin inhibitors
Remedies to lower your blood pressure
- Do exercise daily and just increase you daily activities Which does not mean to run continuously…improve your activities while you are using private vehicles use public transport,Use stair instead of lift Playing outdoor games Swimming is one of thing that we can reduce stress easily
- Try to Have more potassium and reduce sodium. Reduce the quantity of salt in food items.Many studies have proven that there is a link between salt and high blood pressure which may leads to heart diseases like stroke.Potassium is an important mineral .It helps to give pressure on your blood vessel.The balance potassium and sodium in our diet we must focus on eating less processed food and more Fresh Food.
- Reduce the use of alcohol. Drinking alcohol may raise the blood pressure.
- Stress management.Stress mostly affect aged people.So meditation,hearing music are some of the stress relief factors.
- Eat natural supplements.Berberine,garlic extract,hibiscus,fish oil are some of the natural supplements which may help to reduce the blood pressure.
- Avoid smoking.It is a strong risk factor for heart disease.Cigareete smoke increases the blood pressure level in our body and tobacco may damage our blood vessels.
- Reduce body weight.Over weight causes so many heart problems.Losing weight helps the blood vessels for its proper functioning.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
Food items to lower BP
- Leafy vegetables:
Leafy vegetables are rich in potassium which are important for our body.It helps our kidney to remove sodium through urine and it will lowers blood pressure.Leafy vegetables include cabbage,spinach etc.
Berries include strawberries, blueberries contain a compound na,ed flavonoid which may lowers the blood pressure.
Yogurt and skim milk contain low fat which is used in healthy diet for lowering blood pressure.
Bananas are rich in potassium content which is added in healthy diet.
Oats are rich in fiber,low fat and low sodium which lowers the blood pressure.
- Salmon and fish with omega -3s:
Fish with omega -3 fatty acid can reduce inflammation and blood pressure.
It can reduce hypertension and nitric oxide content helps in vasodilation.
- Dark chocolate:
Studies proved that dark chocolate may lowers the cardiovascular diseases.
Some studies proved that drinking a cup of pomegranate juice once a day for four weeks may lower the blood pressure.
Herbs such as basil ,cinnamon ,rosemary are added to the healthy diet which may reduce overweight.
High blood pressure during pregnancy:
High BP is common during pregnancy.It is mainly due to unhealthy lifestyle,overweight etc.Women who experiencing first pregnancy have chances of getting high BP.Maternal age is also a factor.High blood pressure is not a serious problem but sometimes it affect both baby and mother.During pregnancy amount of blood circulate through the body in woman increases.From journal,it is clear that woman’s blood volume increases 45% durin pregnancy.Heart pumps extra amount of blood in a pregnant woman’s body and their kidney releases increased amount of vassopressin.In some cases blood pressure may disappears after baby born and in some cases bp emains elevated after baby is delievered which can be treated by medication prescribed by doctor.
Types of pregnancy related BP
- Chronic hypertension
- Gestational hypertension
- Chronic hypertension with superimposed preeclampsia
- First time pregnancy
- Use of alcohol
- Multiple pregnancy
- Women who undergo invitro fertilization
Complications of BP during pregnancy
- Placental abruption
- Preterm delivery
- Caesarean delivery
Preventing BP during pregnancy
- Diet and exercises
- Avoid alcohol
- Yoga and meditation
MEDICAL TECH EXPERT ADVICE FOR BP PATIENTS
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Get an expert advice from Doctors before having drugs
- Quit alcohol
- Quit smoking
- Do regular workout atleast 1h a day to 6days
- Researches proving that musics can reduce the chance of BP