10 POINTS FOR MERCURY SPILL MANAGEMENT…..
If accidental spill of mercury occurs it is to be collected in a special manner as follows:
1. Spilled mercury should be collected with a ‘‘mercury spill kit’’- containing nitrile gloves, N-95 face mask, 2 pieces of cardboards, 2 plastic containers, cello tape, and flashlight.
2. Do not touch mercury.
3. Remove all jewelry, wear gloves, masks.
4. Use flashlight to locate and cardboards to bring mercury beads together.
5. Collect with an eyedropper of a syringe and carefully place it or ‘contain’ in a bottle containing water.
6. Any remaining beads of mercury should be picked up with a sticky tape and place
7. in the plastic bag, properly labeled.
8. The bottle should be sealed with a tape, labeled as hazardous waste and securely stored inside another plastic container; awaiting final disposal to Govt. nominated or authorized mercury dealers.
9. After mercury has been recovered the spill area should be covered with calcium sulfide or sodium thiosulfate to neutralize it.
10. Reporting formats will be used to report and register any mercury spills/leakages.